Thursday, June 7, 2007

Reflection #2

My thoughts about what I see as a relationship between behavioral, nativist, and functional approaches is a process of acquiring a language. The behavioral approach is the correct responses to stimuli and responses that are reinforced thru behavior. The nativist approach is a genetic capacity that we are born with. The functional approach is a cognitive shift. I strongly believe that language is acquired by a combination of these three approaches.
As I recall my own experience with language, I learned thru behavior while observing my parents as well as my family. I was born with genetic capacity to acquire language. Finally, the school role impacted my functional approach.

The role of culture is a vital factor in first language aquisition. The development of language as well as the environment provided reflects one's culture. Therefore, I do believe that child-parent interactions is different in the U.S. In an English-speaking population most children are exposed to literature at an early age. Whereas, non-English speaking population have limited exposed to literature. As a first year kinder bilingual teacher, I learned that most of my students do not have books at home. However, I gladly provided books for them to take home.

1 comment:

Erika said...

You are so right Rosario, I can see the problem of not enoght resources at home. The mentallity of alliteration at home is not a characteristic of the Hispanic community. The sad part is that also in the bilingual classrooms we don't have the same resources as in the mainstream classrooms. However, as bilingual teachers we have to make sure and use the available resources (not only in the school, but in our communities) to maximize the learning of our students. Erika.