Friday, June 22, 2007

Reflection #8

Okay. What is it going to be form-focused or communicative or a combination of both. Back up your thoughts with some of the studies in LS Ch. 6

I strongly believe it is a combination of both, form-focused and communicative. It is not necessary to choose between the two, however, the challenage is to find the best balance between of the two approaches.
In study 31 p. 168, students learned English through a variety of communicative interactive activities. The teaching was focused on meaning rather than form. In addition, with study 31, a smaller number of classes were studied. This studied examined form-focused instruction and corrective feedback. Results of the studied concluded that students receiving explicit instruction scored higher than students who received communicative instruction.
As a kinder teacher, the communicative orientation is the best practice for my students. Meaningful activities enhance their learning. However, during ESL, I do apply form focus. For example, I explain to my students that in Spanish we do not capitalize day of the week or months of the year, but we do in English.
Again, the challenage for educators is to find the best balance between the two orientation.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Buenos Rosario,
I like your comments because you come from a very different background, having worked with children and had a few yourself. Most of my work has been with college age and adult learners, especially the latter.
I get the sense that there are many ways that learners have fun approaching the language as a child does, through a bit of chaos and using communication.
However, at the same time, adults expect explanations and the bottom line is that they learn and progress. Thus they have the satisfaction of building knowledge, which is what they pay for.
This class has really helped me because it has exposed me to many different ways of approaching language teaching.

Ines Rodriguez said...

I aslo believe that a combo of both is essential. You do need to focus on form but also use interaction to see if the children are actually understanding what was taught. Also children tend to correct each other and it seems to me that it is less intimidating if your corrected when you are around your friends then in front of the whole classroom.