Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Reflection #9

Discuss the role of emotional language in your L1 and L2. Which language is emotionally richer. As your learners acquire (participate?) in their new speech communities do you see a change in their emotional language behavior.Reflect on the notion of (re)construction of delf in your own L2 or L3 learning experiences.

My mother only spoke Spanish, whereas, my father was bilingual (Spanish and English). My mother's personality was very unique. She was always calm, and if she ever got angry, my siblings and I were not aware of it. Today, my siblings and I are parents and ask ourselves "How did she do it with seven children?. I have three children and I admire my mother for her positive attitude she carried everyday. However, my father, was the opposite of my mother. When dad was angry, we all knew it!!! Therefore, I consider my L1 as the richer emotional language. I can get very angry in Spanish, yet, I can express the emotion love just as well.
Since I am a kinder teacher, my students' continue to develop their L1. However, I have observed positive emotional language behavior. My students try and help each other with their L2. When one student begins to make fun of another student, I immediately STOP that behavior. I provide a student friendly enviroment at all times.

1 comment:

Joleen J said...

Hola, Rosario.

Wow, seven kids?? Your Mom sounds so cool! It sounds like you are creating a positive learning environment for your students--keep up the good work!

Thanks again for bringing in all the copies and the posters today--they looked great! You did a nice job of summarizing TBLT, too!